Dinner With a Vampire - Abigail Gibbs Note: I received a copy of this book as part of Waterstone's cardholder read and review scheme. I've submitted my review to their site but wanted to share it here too!

When I first applied to win a read and review copy of this book, I'd just seen an interview with the author on TV. Needless to say I was intrigued by both the book and the nature of how it came about! So I was very happy when it popped through my letterbox and looked forward to finding it out whether it lived up to the hype.

The opening scenes feature Violet Lee witnessing a violent vampire attack in Trafalgar Square, and then being kidnapped by vampires. She's taken to a mansion where she is surrounded by vampire royalty, including the mysterious Kaspar. I was drawn in completely by the action. I think the opening few chapters were where the book was at its strongest.

I really liked the world this book was set in. I liked that it was a vampire novel based in Britain as most of the vampire novels I read are set in America. It gave it a really fresh feeling and it was nice to have that sense of British-ness throughout! I'd certainly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of vampire novels.

Dinner With a Vampire is mainly told from Violet's point of view, but occasionally we get chapters from Kaspar's perspective. I couldn't help feeling these were a bit pointless as they were usually very short and didn't add a great deal to the story. We're introduced to a lot of the vampires associated with Kaspar and I did find myself getting a bit confused as to who was who in places where there were a lot of names to take in. I liked the backstory of Violet's family, though.

The book is billed as "the sexiest romance you'll read this year" but the romance was where I ended up disappointed, to be honest. I really didn't see the attraction of Kaspar and most of the time he just came across as horrible and a bit creepy (especially when it came to his constant use of the nickname "girly" for Violet). I found myself getting annoyed with Violet's feelings for him because I just couldn't understand what it was she saw in him. I started to lose faith in her as the book went on,

I enjoyed most of the plot, and there were some great twists and reveals that kept my attention. I could maybe have done with the book being a bit shorter but overall I liked what I read. It was just the romance element that left me disappointed and didn't live up to expectations. I'd be interested to read the following book and maybe check out any other books this author comes out with in the future.